Luke and O.B. toiled all day on the garage doorways and by 6 PM they were done, the headers up, the casing installed, the sheathing back on, and the housewrap restapled. Except for the gouges in the concrete floor, you’d never know anything had changed. Here’s Luke pointing to the new headers proudly at around 4 PM.
I will be calling the garage door company next week to order the doors.
In the photo you can see bales of fiberglass insulation. Insulating is the next task, which I imagine I will begin with O.B. on Monday. Sadly, Luke must start school and this was his last day. However, Jon has just left his summer job and as he searches for a new and more stimulating one, I think he may be donating some hours to the Great Insulation Project.
I spent another day in the south pasture, drilling insulators into the wooden corner and gate posts, and hanging gates. I’m almost done. The girls are particularly happy that I’ve finally hung “the Anabell gate.” This is a small gate between our pasture and Anabell’s house, so the girls can visit back and forth without coping with the electric fence. I bought the gate this summer with some farm barter money and have just not had time to put it up. Anabell said shyly, “I’ve never had anything named for me before.”
Anabell’s dad is a forester and I’m hoping he will help by cutting some of the deadfall so we can clear it to create a safe path through the woods.
Today I think it will be just Tony the electrician and me at the farm. Tony is trying to finish the apartment wiring this weekend. I will continue working in the pasture to snap plastic insulators on all the steel T-posts, and hang the new top fence line.
All of this effort is to raise the fence height to four feet, to preclude a replay of this summer’s debacle — when, very tired after the girls’ sleepout, I stupidly stood at the barn and, shaking a grain can, called the horses down from the pasture for their breakfast. Instead of trotting around the curve and down the grassy hill as usual, Birch decided to take a shortcut and jumped the 3’6″ wire. (Not bad for an old guy!) Punch followed him, simply barrelling through the fence. They both galloped to me down the driveway. The horses have been turned out at night on drylot in the barn paddock ever since.
A very hot, 4′ fence should keep them in. And as I had to take apart the fence anyway, I decided to go ahead and install the heavy corner posts and gates that should have been there all along. The school was getting rid of two perfectly good 10′ gates — “clutter” — and I’d scrounged a rusty but still serviceable gate from a farm in Keene, so much of the material was free and has just required my work to erect it.
I would be very happy if by the end of the weekend I had the new fencing finished and electrified and could start using that four-acre pasture again. Of course, not being grazed for a month, parts of it are now thick with red clover. This is a cheering indicator of soil improvement. However, I will need to mow it before I turn the horses out, or the rich change in diet could kill them. Unfortunately my mower is still in traction at Mike’s small engine repair shop.
It’s always something.